FULL NAME: ADENIPEKUN, Adebayo
YEAR OF CALL TO BAR: 1991
YEAR OF CONFERMENT AS SAN: 2005
CONFERMENT SERIAL NUMBER: 232
Adebayo Adenipekun, was born on 10th of January, 1958. He is a graduate of the University of Ife and The University of Ibadan from where he respectively obtained a Bachelors of Arts degree in Education and a Bachelor of Laws. He also obtained a LLM from the same University of Ife. He is a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as well as an arbitrator with over 24 years’ experience. He has appeared in all the superior courts in Nigeria and has litigated extensively on a range of issues including oil and gas, contracts, debt recovery, insolvency, intellectual property, criminal, electoral, constitutional and commercial disputes, amongst others. He also has varied and extensive arbitration experience having appeared as counsel in Arbitration proceedings in Nigeria and overseas. He is currently the lead counsel representing the Federal Government of Nigeria in an investment arbitration case before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Dispute (ICSID), an institutional member of the World Bank Group.
Based on his experience in commercial litigation, he has developed expertise in International Commercial Arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. He is currently a lead counsel in International Commercial Arbitration between a foreign investor and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). Adebayo is a member of the Nigeria Bar Association, International Bar Association, London Court of International Arbitration and Lagos Court of Arbitration. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in London and in Nigeria. He regularly lectures at Afe Babalola University Ado Ekiti (ABUAD).
Acknowledged by his peers as a leading light, Adebayo is widely noted for his industry, brilliant delivery of legal argument and astute cross-examination prowess. A distinguished lawyer, Adebayo was described by Justice Aderemi, a former Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria as a “firebrand” and by former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Alfa Belgore as a “hope for the future of the legal profession”.In recognition of his outstanding professional performance, he was named one of the outstanding alumni of the University of Ibadan at its 50th Anniversary in 1998.
Adebayo has also acted as Counsel, Sole Arbitrator and Party-Appointed Arbitrator in several Arbitrations including but not limited to:
- Interocean Oil Development Company &Interocean Oil Exploration Company v. Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Snecou Group of Companies Limited v. Government of Cross-River State of Nigeria
- Chams Consortium Ltd v. National Identity Management Commission
- Jenoa Spheris Realty Company Limited v. Stormberg Engineering Company Limited
- OlatunjiSarafadeen Yusuf v. Government of Oyo State
- OdionUnuakhe& Co. Transport v. Transit Care Limited
- Sheperd Agriculture (Nig) Ltd v. Ekiti State Government
Adebayo is a regular attendee at International seminars and conferences.
He was elevated into the Inner Bar as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (equivalent of QC in the UK) in the year 2005. Adebayo is currently the Head of Chambers, Afe Babalola & Co., a firm of legal practitioners with offices in Lagos, Ibadan, Abuja and Port-Harcourt. Adebayo has also written books either as sole author or as co-author and has written several journals and contributed articles to several books including but not limited to:
Books and Publications:
- Front Loading in Election Petition: Why the Court Must Take a Second Look at the Election Tribunal and Court Practice Directions 2007 In Current Issues in Nigerian Jurisprudence, Published by: Renaissance Law Publishers Limited, 2007
- Initiating Election Petitions and Other Preliminaries
Presented papers at the seminar organized by International Foundation for Electoral System (IFES)/NBA at Rockview Hotel, Abuja on 3rd of May, 2011
- Biographical Sketch of Afe Babalola, SAN
InThe Legal Profession and The Nigerian Nation
Published by: International Legal and Allied Research Network, 1998
- A commentary on Alphonus Nkuma vs. Joseph Otunaya Odili (2006) 6 NWLR (Part 977) 587. In The Force of Justice (Edited by Dele Adesina Esq. SAN)
Published by: DAC Publishing Company Limited, 2010.
- Professional Conduct of Lawyers in Election Matters
Presented at the seminar organized by International Foundation for Electoral System (IFES)/NBA at Rockview Hotel, Abuja on 3rd of May, 2011
- Law and Economic Transformation in Nigeria: The Imperative Justice Section Reform, Paper presented at the National Conference on Law and Economic Transformation in Nigeria, organized by the Faculty of Law, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife on 11th of July, 2012.
- Not All Cases of Exclusion Will Lead to an Order by the Court for Fresh Election – An X-ray of Okocha &Ors v. INEC & Ors
In Emmanuel Chambers Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 1 October 2010
- Digest of Election Petition Cases (Second Edition)2011
Published by: Sayemtees Ventures Limited
- Practice Notes on Impeachment amnd the Rule of Law in Legal Issues for Contemporary Justice in Nigeria
- Front Loading in Election Tribunal and Court Practice Direction 2007 in Current in Nigeria Jurisprudence
- Critique of Ndukauba Vs Kolomo (2005) 4NWLR in Landmark cases in Nigeria Law.
- Current Legal Issues in Contemporary Nigeria – Essays in Honour of Aare Afe Babalola, SAN, CON.Published by: Afe Babalola University Press
(This Mr. Adenipekan’s Profile heavily culled from www.afebabalola.com and other sources, edited and supplemented)